Saturday, September 22, 2007

Race for the Cure

Tomorrow, Sunday September 23,2007, Portland will run its annual race for the cure. I'll be teaching so I won't be participating, but my heart and thoughts will be with the 40,541 registered participants walking, running and enjoying a beautiful September morning in Portland. I've lost two aunts to this disease and as many women I live in constant vigilance, fearing its darkness in my life. I've had three close scares with this disease. Tomorrow, as I look into the bright eyes of my 1st and 2nd graders, I'll be thinking of the amazing journeys that they are beginning and hoping that none of them will ever have to endure chemotherapy or to watch someone they love die piecewise by this disease. Next year I'll make sure to be in that race.

I'll also be thinking of my favorite songwriter/singer, Melissa Etheridge and her bravery as she's come out to her public, shared her pains and joys, showed the world the heights of lesbian parenthood and the hurt when a relationship ends, and then appearing bald headed at the Grammy's to belt out the music of Janis Joplin with more passion than I've ever heard it before. And now, Melissa continues to invite us on her journey through her tremendous songwriting ability. As I teach my class tomorrow, know that I'm with all my sisters as they race for the cure.

No comments: